Amal Al Ghaferi Department of Mechanical and Materials Engineering
Program: Materials Science and Engineering
Phone number: +971 2 810 9103
Dr. Amal Al Ghaferi was the first UAE National faculty member at Masdar Institute of Science and Technology. She received her PhD in Materials Science and Engineering from the University of Pittsburgh, PA, USA. Dr. Amal also received the United Kingdom Prime Minister’s Initiative Award - PMI2 - in 2009, which is a research cooperation funding program between UK and UAE. She also received the 2009 Women in Science and Technology Fellowship from the United States. In addition to these honors, Dr. Amal has won two Sheikh Rashid Scientific Distinction Awards - one in 2000 and the other in 2007.
Prior to joining Masdar Institute, Dr. Al Ghaferi was an Assistant Professor at the Physics Department at UAE University in Al Ain, where she gained academic experience from teaching fundamental and advanced courses in Physics.
- Implementing nanotechnology in renewable energy
Advisor to Current Masdar Institute Students:
- Faisal AlMarzooqi ( PhD)
- Md. Mahfuzur Rahman ( PhD)
- Yamila Omar
- Khaloud Mohammed Al Na'imi
Research Interest/Research Projects
- Organic memory devices
- Organic/inorganic photovoltaic devices
- Al Ghaferi, P. Müllner, H. Heinrich, G. Kostorz and J.M.K. Wiezorek, “Elastic constants of equiatomic L10-ordered FePd single crystals”, Acta Materialia (2006) Vol. 54, 881-889.
- Deshpande, A. Al Ghaferi, H. Xu, H. Heinrich and J.M.K. Wiezorek, "Microstructure-Property Evolution in Cold-Worked Equiatomic Fe-Pd During Isothermal Annealing at 500°C", Nano and Microstructural Design of Advanced Materials, 2003, : A commemorative volume on Prof.G. Thomas’ Seventieth Birthday. London Elsevier; Pages 129-142.