Behjat Al Yousuf Department of Engineering Systems and Management
Department of Engineering Systems and Management
Phone number: +971 028109355
Dr. Behjat Al Yousuf brings with her over 22 years of experience in higher education leadership and advancing science and technology academic standing to her role as Interim Provost and Professor of Practice at Masdar Institute. She also is affiliated with the Department of Engineering Systems and Management, working closely with its faculty in the area of Engineering of Systems and the Management of Technology (innovation). She also advises MSc and PhD students and serves as part of their Research Committees.
Dr. Al Yousuf’s academic experience started in 1990 at the Higher Colleges of Technology. Dr. Al Yousuf was the Associate Director of Dubai Women’s College from 2006 to 2012. In 1990, she was a faculty member of the Information Technology Program and then became the Information Technology Program Chair in 2001. During this time, Dr. Al Yousuf led a strategic approach in delivering excellence in academia to help increase UAE national women in the IT workforce to above 90% through industry partnership. She also led the development of the Center for Human Capital Development at Zayed University in 2012.
Dr. Al Yousuf serves on different international and regional groups such as the United Nations Global Alliances for Information Development (UN GAID), World Federation of Women Engineering, International Taskforce for Women in Technology, Women Center for ICT and Women Educational Worldwide, Dubai Quality Group, etc. Her work has helped in empowering women in the knowledge economy through sustaining women’s careers in the field of technology and science. In April 2009, Dr. Al Yousuf became a member of the UN GAID Strategic Council for ICT Development.
Dr. Al Yousuf received her PhD in Software Engineering from Reading University, UK, her MSc in Computer Science from Cardiff University, UK and a BSc in Computer Engineering from University of North Carolina at Charlotte, USA. She was awarded prestigious United Arab Emirates Business Women Award for Career Achievements in 2006 and Sheikh Rashid Award for Scientific Achievement, in addition to outstanding community and leadership awards. In April 2008, INSEAD and The National newspaper deemed Dr. AlYousuf one of 20 most influential women in UAE.
- The role of technology in socio-economic development
- Innovation and Entrepreneurship
- Distributed Database Systems
- The Role of Education in Empowering Women Entrepreneurs, Annual MDWIT Conference in Baltimore, USA, March 2009.
- UNESCO conference on GKP forum on entrepreneurship and social innovation, March 2008
- Women Empowerment: Chaired a Video conference discussion on Women Empowerment as part of Dubai 2003, organized by the World Bank in September 2003.
- Z39.50, FAQ: A paper was published in Information Retrieval Technology in Stockholm, Sweden in 1999. This paper is available in Library of Congress and the International Standards Organization web pages.
- A case study on Z39.50 client and server toolkits: A research paper of different toolkits available with respect to client and server capabilities. This paper is accepted in Z39.50 Information Retrieval Standards Conference, Washington, D.C., U.S.A., 1998: Search capabilities in different database systems.