The Institute Center for Smart and Sustainable Systems (iSmart) applies systems analysis techniques in the design and development of sustainable infrastructure systems that interface between technology and society.
- To become a globally recognized university research center that applies systems analyses in the design and development of sustainable infrastructure systems that interface between technology and society.
- To provide strategic and operational direction for Masdar Institute's research in the application of engineering systems methodologies for policy and strategy analyses that would cater to the needs of UAE and international stakeholders for unbiased and timely engineering systems research.
- To serve Masdar Institute's faculty, students, and stakeholders by supporting a collaborative environment for the development of engineering systems research that is relevant to the UAE and aligned with UAE's long-term goal of developing robust policies and strategies for critical economic sectors, including energy and water, transportation and logistics, urban development and information systems.
- To facilitate faculty and student research in the envisioning, design, and analysis of sustainable infrastructure transformation on the urban and regional scale integrating socioeconomic, technical, informational, and policy-oriented perspectives.
Themes & sponsored centers
The interface between infrastructure systems that are critical for a sustainable transition - energy and water, transportation and logistics, urban systems integration and planning - and the broader social context they are embedded in: users, organizations, and markets.
The research theme areas of iSmart are:
- Energy and water policy
- Transportation and logistics
- Smart cities planning and operations
- Industrial processes, supply chain management, and lifecycle sustainability assessment.