Research at Masdar Institute takes place in a number of highly-specialized advanced laboratory facilities.
- Micro/Nano Fabrication Facility
This 350m2 cleanroom fabrication facility hosts a number of tools for deposition, growth, patterning and etching of advanced materials. The facility is used mainly by faculty and students of the Microsystems Engineering Program, however, it is open to all users provided they successfully complete the required training.
Electron Microscopy Facility
The Electron Microscopy facility hosts the most advanced set of electron microscopy equipment available in the UAE. The facility is open to those who have successfully completed required training. Facility users have access to advanced sample preparation facilities including microtome, polishing and ion milling systems.
The facility houses scanning electron microscopes (SEM), dualbeam SEM/focused ion beam (FIB) systems, and two transmission electron microscope (TEM). Analytical tools include electron energy loss spectroscopy (EELS), electron backscatter diffraction (EBSD), energy-dispersive X-ray spectroscopy (EDS), wavelength-dispersive spectroscopy (WDS), environmental scanning electron microscope (ESEM), electron-beam lithography (EBL), heating tensile stage and cryo TEM stage.
Analytical Chemistry and Biochemistry Core (ACBC) Laboratory
The Analytical Chemistry and Biochemistry Core (ACBC) lab provides advanced analytical chemistry and biochemistry facilities to the Masdar Institute research community. The facility is open to trained and authorized users 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Training is provided to students, faculty and other members of the Masdar Institute community as required.
Solar and Device Testing (SDT) Laboratory
The Solar and Device Testing (SDT) Laboratory supports cutting-edge research in devices, materials and solar cells by the faculty, students and research engineers. The SDT lab is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week. All users must be trained on the use of the equipment by facility staff before being authorized access to the equipment.
The 410m2 central machine shop contains a wood shop, a machine shop, and a welding shop.
Materials Testing Laboratory
The Materials Testing Laboratory provides a safe and well-resourced laboratory facility that meets the needs of Masdar Institute’s research community in the area of material sciences and characterization. The facility is open to trained and authorized users nine hours a day (9am-6pm), five days a week. We provide training to students, faculty, and other members of the Masdar Institute research community, on how to safely and effectively use sensitive equipment.
- MEMS Lab – This lab allows full characterization of microelectromechanical (MEMS) systems in the electrical and mechanical domains. It complements MI’s in-house MEMS design software capabilities, enabling users to test their designed devices.
- Water Tech Lab – This lab features a range of equipment for water purification research and development. Equipment includes small scale pilot filtration and desalination plants and dedicated membrane characterization equipment.
- Electrochemistry Lab – This lab is provides the tools for research and development of electrochemical energy conversion and storage devices with focus on advanced battery technologies.
- Solar Panel Testing Lab – This lab is part of a series of commercial photovoltaic (PV) testing installations implemented in collaboration with Masdar. The facility provides users with the ability to measure power produced by a PV module under standard test conditions and low irradiance using a HALM Flash Tester.